The purpose of the BEST Summer Bridge program for student athletes is to facilitate the transition for new students into the university. The bridge experience encourages participants to think about themselves as members of the OSU community and to develop identities as OSU students. In addition, BEST students learn the behaviors, habits, and expectations of higher education. The bridge experience provides a challenging learning environment in which student athletes receive a great deal of individual attention, study facilitation and mentoring.
This position is as a study facilitator for evening study hall (approximately 6:00 – 9:00 pm, Sunday-Thursday) during the BEST Summer Bridge program. Study facilitators work individually at tables and as part of a study facilitator team of 4-5 per session. Session dates are as follows: Session I and II run concurrently from July 7 through August 1; Session III runs from August 18 through September 12. Study facilitators work as a team to provide guidance and support to students in developing good study habits and completing assignments as well as coordinating an environment conducive to learning in the study hall.
- Attend study tables and study table pre-meetings with the staff and provide guidance in the process of completing assignments
- Facilitate discussion and review of course content
- Develop supportive relationships with individual participants to create strong cohort community and address any issues that degrade that community
- Use a student-centered approach to help students form good study habits and reflect on their learning and approach to assignments
- Educate participants about campus resources and opportunities in a way that encourages each student to advocate for themselves and their needs
- Guide students to presentations and events in conjunction with class activities
- Attend the welcome event and ending celebration
- Participate in 10 hours of training (dates planned around the end of June), meetings, and preparation
- Experience in a coordination or leadership role
- Ability to solve problems in complex situations and create a structured environment conducive to student learning.
- Awareness of and sensitivity to working with diverse groups of students, staff, and administrators
- Good Academic Standing (GPA over 2.5) and minimum one year at OSU
- Availability to work all hours needed including evening and weekend hours and weekly meetings
- Current student athlete, previous BEST participant
- Junior standing or higher (Graduate Students are encouraged to apply)
- Ability to work with a team
- High degree of individual responsibility
- Excellent communication skills
- Supervisor: Clint Edwards
- Address of employment: Beth Ray Center for Academic Support
- Rate of pay: $9.00 - $12:00/hour depending on experience
- Hours total: 60 – 70
- Program dates: June 22-July 17; July 13- Aug 6; Aug 17-Sep 10
- Regular or Work Study
To apply email a resume and unofficial transcript to Clint Edwards at email@example.com.